Central Dairy Established
Central Dairy was established in Columbia in 1920 by Dot Sappington.
Columbia Central Dairy Building
Central Dairy was operated from this downtown Columbia building in the 1920s and early 1930s.
New building in Jefferson City
Sappington built a new dairy building at 610 Madison, Jefferson City, in 1933 and installed the now-famous ice cream counter in the front of the dairy.
Early Ice Cream Packaging
This is how early ice cream packaging looked.
Phone Book Ad 1935
Note the four-digit phone number!
Columbia Staff in 1939.
Columbia Ice Cream Parlor
Early days of the Columbia ice cream parlor.
Madison Street location as it appeared in 1942.
Little Glen & Milk Jug
Glen Hackmann of the Central Dairy family in 1945.
Name the Bottle Contest
News Tribune ad for Name The Bottle Contest.
Jays Basketball Team
Jays Basketball Team 1959
Leo & Tulah Hackman
Leo and Tulah Hackman became co-owners of Central Dairy in 1961 with Wilbur Davis
Leo Hackman - Official Ceremony
Leo Hackman with Governor Warren Hearnes signing a proclamation: “June is Dairy Month” in 1966.
1972 Ribbon cutting for the new bottle washer at the 610 Madison Street location.
A Jefferson City Tradition
Central Dairy Ice Cream parlor is still a favorite stop for locals and now is even a tour stop for visitors from all over the country.
A look inside the current facility at Central Dairy.