Timeline

Columbia Central Dairy Building

Central Dairy was operated from this downtown Columbia building in the 1920s and early 1930s.
Read more

Central Dairy Established

Central Dairy was established in Columbia in 1920 by Dot Sappington.
Read more

New building in Jefferson City

Initially, products from Columbia were brought to Jefferson City for resale, but Sappington built a new dairy building at 610 Madison Street, Jefferson City in 1934 and installed the now-famous ice cream counter in the front of the dairy.
Read more

Milk Girls Advertisement

1942 News Tribune Central Dairy Milk Advertisement
Read more

Milk Girls Advertisements

More classic ads from the 1940s
Read more

Early Ice Cream Packaging

This is how early ice cream packaging looked.
Read more

Phone Book Ad 1935

Note the four digit phone number!
Read more

Early in Columbia, MO

Early Central Dairy building in Columbia, MO.
Read more

Columbia Staff

Columbia Staff in 1939
Read more

Columbia Ice Cream Parlor 1941

Early days of the Columbia ice cream parlor.
Read more

New Awning

Madison Street location as it appeared in 1942.
Read more

Little Glen & Milk Jug

Glen Hackmann of the Central Dairy family in 1945.
Read more

Name The Bottle Contest

News Tribune ad for Name The Bottle Contest
Read more

Jays Basketball Team

Jays Basketball Team in 1959.
Read more

Leo & Tulah Hackman

Leo and Tulah Hackman became co-owners of Central Dairy in 1961 with Wilbur Davis.
Read more

Leo Hackman - Official Ceremony

Leo Hackman with Governor Warren Hearnes signing a proclamation: “June is Dairy Month” in 1966.
Read more

Ribbon Cutting

1972 Ribbon cutting for the new bottle washer at the 610 Madison Street location.
Read more

A Jefferson City Tradition

Central Dairy Ice Cream parlor is still a favorite stop for locals and now is even a tour stop for visitors from all over the country.
Read more

Bottle Production

A look inside the current facility at Central Dairy
Read more